Clyde Van Arsdall
Ingredients Artichoke Boil
- 4 Artichokes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes of tabasco
- 1 Lemon cut in half
- Pinch of salt
- Few grinds of fresh pepper
- Prepare Artichokes by cutting about ¾ of an inch off the top enough to expose the choke. Cut the stem leaving about a ¼ inch. Trim the outer leaves to remove the tips of the leaves especially if there are thorns.
- Boil Artichokes in water seasoned with olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon, salt, and pepper. Artichokes take about 40 min to boil and are done when a paring knife can be easily inserted into the stem on the bottom of the artichoke. Take artichokes out before they are cooked all the way, check at about 30 min time. The knife should show some resistance.
- Once the Artichokes have been cooled to room temperature cut the artichokes in half lengthwise and remove the choke with a spoon. Leaving two cut halves.
Ingredients Grilling Artichokes
- 8 artichoke halves boiled; choke removed
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 lemons halved
Instructions Grilling Artichokes
- Prepare a hot fire
- Place artichoke halves on a sheet tray cut side up
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Let sit for 10-15 min to allow the oil to sink in
- Place Artichoke halves and lemon halves on the grill cut side down
- Grill Artichokes until there are grill marks on the cut side and they begin to turn golden.
- Remove Lemons when they have a nice char on the cut side.
- Display Artichoke halves on a platter and squeeze the charred lemon halves over them.